Friday, September 12, 2008

Worry Who I?

I have let worry chase me in circles for the past two or even three days. I did not realize what was going on until today when it hit me that I had been withdrawn. There were no fusses or tantrums. No cross words were exchanged but I have just not been my usual self. I like to think that I am typically a happy guy who is kind of fun to be around. This afternoon talking to my wife, it dawned on me that I had hidden in my own little world for a few days. The culprit was worry.

Several important events are all taking place today and subconsciously I let myself become consumed with figuring out how to make all the pieces fit perfectly together. But as I looked at Amy I realized that all my mental anguish was not worth compromising one moment of my fellowship with her. Truth be told, my fellowship with the Lord was similarly affected. I was taking on everything and leaving nothing for God. That is a recipe for disaster.

Worrying means that I am not truly living by faith. It flies in the face of our trust for God and what He will do in and through us. Worry lures us to take our eyes off the Lord and place our focus on the circumstance. Remember when Jesus and the disciples were on the boat during a raging storm? Jesus was asleep while the winds howled and the waves rolled. The disciples were all afraid for their lives and rushed to wake the Lord to spare them. I think He was disappointed because they were consumed by their fears. He said they had little faith. They forgot who was in the boat with them and that He is greater than the storm.

I felt like I was in a storm these past few days and I was caught wave watching. My wife's peaceful expression reminded me that God is in control and that He is bigger than the raging seas. When I once again set my gaze on Christ, the waves calmed. The storm passed. I still have several things to get done today and I will get to them. The difference is the peace in me that comes when my trust is fully in Jesus rather than in me trying to be life's little helper.

Hurricane Ike will hit ground around midnight tonight. We have evacuees already here in Mount Pleasant. Gas went up 30 cents this morning and Wal-Mart is more of a madhouse than usual. A storm is coming and people are preparing. Some are making extra profits on the hysteria. The storm will come and then it will go. There are always storms on the horizon. That is simply part of life.

Worry will neither prevent nor slow down the storms. Worry will lead you around in unproductive circles and leave you right where you started. You will feel drained and might have a few extra gray hairs. Faith, however, will point you toward the only lighthouse in the night. Worry makes you look down at the terrifying circumstances. Trust and faith says "look up and lift up your heads, for your redemption draweth nigh." (Luke 21:28) The storm is coming and has even arrived but this time it will find me not worrying because I am looking up to Jesus.

Because He lives,

Robby

No comments: