Wednesday, September 10, 2008

John Tesh

John Tesh is my wife's favorite musician. She loves his music and has several of his CD's. He is performing a concert this Friday night in a town only 45 minutes from where we live. He will not be returning to this part of the country for the foreseeable future. Friday is my wife's birthday. For her birthday we had planned to have a few couples come over for dinner and an evening of fellowship (Baptist lingo for fun). Today we changed those plans so I could take my wife to see her favorite artist live in concert. We have front row tickets. Being handicapped sometimes has its advantages, though not very often. I should note that while my wife adores John Tesh's music, I do not. It's just not my style but the evening is not about me. Friday night is about my wife and doing something that she will love and possibly not get the opportunity to do again.

If I had my preference, we would stay with the original plan of having folks over Friday night. I could have pushed for that and gotten my way. I could have used guilt over ticket prices and told her that it would be rude to our guests to change our plans. It would have been easy and even though Amy would have been disappointed, she would have gotten over it. But I was reminded that we are taught to put others before ourselves. We are not supposed to just think of us.

Paul's letter to the Philippians spoke a great deal about joy and rejoicing but another major theme to the letter was how to get along well together. He said in chapter two that we should esteem others better than we do ourselves. He explained that as not just thinking of ourselves but to always consider others as well. There was some conflict among two of the believers in the church, Euodias and Syntyche. He urged them to be of the same mind. I believe he was asking them to each treat the other's wants and needs as they would their own desires.

Jesus is the supreme example of considering others over one's self. He left His glory in Heaven and abased Himself by taking on human flesh. He did not make Himself to be a big deal while He lived on Earth. Everything He did was to fulfill the Father's will and accomplish His purpose. Completely selfless, He bore the shame of the cross to pay the penalty for my sin and yours. Now that is putting others ahead of self.

So, while I could have nudged Amy toward what I wanted for her birthday, I was reminded that sometimes I really must consider others ahead of me. I'm not bucking for husband of the year or a pat on the back. I just believe that the right thing to do was to think of my wife and esteem her ahead of me. Our relationships would sure benefit from more selfless acts. Guys, our wives are precious. Let us be the leaders in our homes and set the example of putting others first. I promise it will be reciprocated. I am going to see John Tesh in concert....for Amy.

Because He lives,

Robby

1 comment:

Amy in TX said...

Oh my goodness, I love you so much!! Thank you for doing this just for me. :D I'm still crossing my fingers and hoping you actually "like" it. You spoil me rotten, and I'm SO thankful!!!