Thursday, September 4, 2008

First thoughts

Many of us computer users have spent years searching, reading, admiring, and internally commenting on other people's web pages. We have wished for a way to express our thoughts without spending gobs of money publishing a website. Blogging now gives us that long sought after venue.

As a Christian, I want whole-heartedly to share words of encouragement with as many people as I can. God's word speaks to every person and to every situation that will arise in each person's life. My aim is to comment on many of those life events and share insight into them as I keep the Bible's perspective in mind.

A bit of background on who I am and how I came to be here:

I am a native-born Texan (for better and/or worse). My family began attending South Jefferson Baptist Church in Mount Pleasant, Texas, when I was 10 and I placed my trust in Jesus Christ at age 11. I surrendered to the ministry when I was 16. My life suddenly and drastically changed at age 22 on November 5, 1984 when a pick-up truck struck me in the back as I walked along side a road. Since then I have been paralyzed at the waist. The most amazing part of my injury is the abiding peace of God that continues to afirm to me that He is in control, He has a plan for my life, and that life is still good.

I spent four years at the University of Texas at Arlington cramming two years worth of study into those four years. I took my time because I was a member of the university's wheelchair basketball team, the Movin' Mavs. During that time, we won two national collegiate basketball titles and were received at the White House by President Clinton. After graduating in December, 1995, I moved back to Mount Pleasant. Even though many neat things had happened for me, there was something missing from my life. I had stopped listening to the word of God and allowed my fellowship with Him to grow cold and distant.

In 1997 as I visited a friend in the hospital, I was urged to come visit church at South Jefferson Baptist. I did. And, praise God, I knew I was home. I knew God had plans for us but I figured I had messed everything up by living just for me for a dozen years. Thankfully, God's plans are bigger than we are. I was happy to be in church again and to again be right with the Lord and in close fellowship with Him. Late in 1999 our associate pastor left for full-time evangelism. I told our pastor, Bro. Tommy Oglesby, that if he ever needed help checking on our sick folks then I would be glad to go visit them in his stead. Some weeks later, Bro. Tommy approached me and asked me to join the staff as the Minister of Pastoral Care. I was thrilled. God really was not through with me after all. I joined the staff in January, 2000.

In August 2003, I met a Christian lady online and began chatting to her. Those chats led to a date. A year later those dates led to a wedding. I had been single for 17 years and had nearly given up hope that God would allow me to be married again. He not only answered my prayer for a godly wife but He threw in two great little boys to boot. She is my best friend and is more than I ever asked from God in a wife. Ain't God good?

God is so wonderful to me and my family. I owe Him all I am and ever hope to be. He is everything and I am nothing. I have no trouble admitting that truth. In the coming posts I want to share thoughts of God's goodness as expressed in His word and as demonstrated in life. I hope those who read will get a blessing and I hope to have blessings shared back with me in comments and discussion.

God bless you real good. Come back and answer back often. Let us grow together in the grace of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

Because He lives,

Robby

1 comment:

Perry Crisp said...

Hi Robby. I appreciate you sharing your story. It's great to know the insights of person's life. Thank you for being open. I've enjoyed reading your thoughts.