Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Apples of Gold

Sunday evening we (South Jefferson Baptist Church) hosted the Hoppers in concert. The concert was great. They sang wonderfully and ministered spiritually. We have enjoyed bringing in the Hoppers annually for the last 5 years or so. They are a top southern gospel group and it is nice having a big name group come sing. They pack the house and several smaller area churches even dismiss their evening services so they can come be a part too. I love the good singing and I love the fellowship between churches. Would to God that churches did more fellowshipping and serving together but that is another post.

After the concert, I quickly made my way to the booth where the Hoppers sold their CD's and DVD's and other things. I was on a mission. Our older son, Riley, has a drum set and wishes to learn how to play them. Since neither Amy or I play drums and since we have declined to pay $65/hr for lessons, I was in line to buy a drum instructional DVD made by Michael Hopper, the family's drummer.

With DVD in hand, I gathered up Riley and we went to the front of the church where Mike was chatting with folks as they drifted by offering words of joy and thanks for a wonderful service. When I could, I asked Mike if he would sign the DVD for Riley. I knew Ry would like that and it afforded us an opportunity to get to know him a bit. He was very gracious and encouraged Riley to learn to play the drums.

We had been blessed by the whole evening. We had made our purchases. We had gathered autographs. We had visited with friends and visitors. I thought we were finally ready to go home. But there was yet someone else with whom I needed to speak. I believe that appointment was set by God.

As much as the singing blessed my heart, there was something else Sunday evening that meant even more to me. Claude Hopper, the group's patriarch and founder, introduced to the congregation his older sister, Virginia Steele. Mrs. Virginia is now 84. This was the second time she has attended their concert held at our church. Both times, Claude has introduced her and asked her to share a few words of testimony. She is a charming lady who loves the Lord deeply. With a captivating, deep-south accent she eloquently expresses her love for Christ.

After getting Mike's autograph for Riley, I turned to roll up the aisle when Mrs. Virginia looked my way and began moving toward me. Naturally, I turned toward her and smiled as I reached out to shake her hand. I thanked her for coming and for her words of testimony. She smiled and said she remembered me from the last time she had come. That was sweet but what she said next moved me deeply.

She said she had often prayed for me and that because of me she was more lovingly mindful of people with disabilities. Glory Hallelujah! That's a God thing. Her facial expression was so sweet. Her eyes were glassy with tears as she talked with me. I immediately teared and swallowed the lump in my throat. I thanked her profusely and told her that I believe God uses me in a more impactful way because of the wheelchair. I believe that. She understood. The moment was precious to me and I will not soon forget it.

Do you remember the words of Proverbs25:11? "A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in pictures of silver." Mrs. Virginia's words were that to my heart. We only spoke for a couple minutes yet the blessings linger still.

We will each encounter around ten people every day. We will speak on average about 25,000 words every day. How many of those meetings and how many of those words could someone reflect on and say that we were to them apples of gold in pictures of silver?

Our words matter. Just as we love to be encouraged, let us be ones to speak encouragement to others today. You don't have to memorize anything. You don't have to be profound. Be sincere. Be loving. Most of all, be ready to be a blessing to someone you meet along your journey. The blessings will far outlast the effort and will mean so much to both of you.

Because He lives,

Robby

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Robby,

This has blessed me more than you can imagine! Thanks for being a golden apple!!

Rhonda